Transition towns was an idea created in 2006 in Totnes, England and has since spread like wildfire to hundreds of towns and cities across the world. Its a plan to help the world become more sustainable by focusing on the local level and helping towns become more resilient, environmentally aware, and community oriented. This movement embodies the 5 qualities I’ve defined to make up an open collaboration – participatory, emergent, non-hierarchical, open, and non-owned.
There are 12 suggested steps to make your town a transition town..
1) Form a steering group and plan its demise!
2) Raise awareness of Peak Oil, Climate Change and alternatives
3) Lay Foundations: work with businesses and local landowners
4) Official Unleashing
5) Form working groups: such as Arts, Food, Energy, Economics etc
6) Use Open Space Technology
7) Develop a visible manifestation
8) Great Re-skilling: disseminating and expanding the towns skills
9) Bridge to Local Government
10) Honour the Elders: tap into pre-fossil fuel dependence experiences.
11) Let it go where it wants to go
12) Develop an energy descent plan
I’d like to suggest a 13th step
13) Form a network of gifting circles : These circles allow the efficient flow of resources and services through a community, creating a vibrant local economy